Italian sausage has been a favorite for centuries and Italian Sausage is one most popular type of fresh sausage and among the easiest sausages you can make at home. You can follow the recipe below, or just purchase one of our ready-made Italian Sausage Seasoning mixes.
This Sweet Italian Sausage recipe is sure to please. You can stuff the sausage you make into casings or form it into patties.Homemade Sweet Italian Sausage Ingredients:
Homemade Sweet Italian Sausage Instructions
- 2 1/2 pounds lean ground pork butt or leaner cuts if desired
- 3 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon dry basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons fennel seed (up to 1 tablespoon if you like dominant fennel flavor)
- 1/4 cup beef or chicken broth or dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Italian (flat leaf) parsley, chopped, (stems removed)
- Hand-trim fat from the outside of meat to your desired fat preference.
- Grind the semi-meat coarsely.
- After grinding, add the sausage seasonings to the meat and blend by hand or use a meat mixer. Be sure to mix thoroughly to ensure the ingredients are spread evenly throughout the meat.
- Stuff by hand or by using a sausage stuffer or sausage stuffing attachment for an electric meat-grinder. (Note: do NOT use the blade in meat-grinder when stuffing and it is best to use a stuffing (bean) plate). If you wish, You can also form patties without casings.